Heat pumps are an excellent choice for most homes and businesses. They are gaining in popularity because they are both a heating source and a cooling source. They are more efficient and produce fewer greenhouse gasses than most other heating and cooling systems.
WHAT IS A HEAT PUMP?
A heat pump is part of a heating and cooling system. It differs from other heating and cooling systems in a few ways.
It is both a heating system and a cooling system in one unit.
It does not burn fossil fuels to create heat. Instead, it uses a compressor that compresses coolant, allowing it to change from a liquid to a gas. During the process, the coolant heats up and warms the coils. As air passes over the coils, it too warms.
Because a heat pump does not burn gas or use electricity to heat air directly, it is much more energy efficient than most other types of heating and cooling systems. As a result, a heat pump warms your house using less energy, which means you pay less for a cozy home in comparison to what you would pay for other types of heating systems. The same is true for cooling. The high efficiency and the lower heating costs are two reasons why heating pump systems are becoming so popular.
SIGNS THAT YOU SHOULD INSTALL A NEW HEAT PUMP
There are a few reasons why you should install a new heat pump. The first reason is that you want to switch from a different HVAC system. Other reasons are:
THE SYSTEM IS BEYOND REPAIRS
If the system is out of warranty and continues to break, it is not worth repairing. Instead, invest in a new system.
YOUR HEAT PUMP IS SHORT CYCLING
Short cycling occurs when the system turns on and off rapidly. There are a few reasons why this could happen. A simple fix is that there is a problem with the thermostat. However, other issues can mean the system is broken and should be replaced.
THE UNIT IS AROUND 15 YEARS OLD
A heat pump system should last about 15 years. If your system is 15 years and older and you face an expensive repair, replacing the old system with one that will cover your heating and cooling for another 15 years might be more economical.
IT FREQUENTLY BREAKS DOWN
A heat pump system that breaks frequently is on its last legs. It will be more expensive in the long run to continue to repair it. Instead, invest in a new system. With maintenance, the new heat pump systems are efficient and can last 15 years.
YOU NOTICE RISING HEATING COSTS
If your heating bills are going up and you don’t know why, it could be the heat pump system. While they are very efficient, they can consume more energy near the end of their lifecycle.
Generally, we see higher energy rates with other HVAC systems than with heat pumps.
If your energy bills have increased, give us a call. We can evaluate the heat pump to make sure that it is causing the spike in energy costs. A big clue that the heat pump uses too much energy is when you notice it runs a lot, but the house is either chilly or too warm.
BENEFITS OF INSTALLING A HEAT PUMP SYSTEM IN LEXINGTON, KY
If you consider installing a heat pump system in Lexington, KY, there are a few benefits to going that route. Those include:
- Provide both heating and cooling. You get a heating system and a cooling system in one unit. It can save space over installing a furnace and an AC unit.
- Energy savings. A heat pump does not burn fuel to warm air. A furnace has a flame that expands to heat air. A heat pump takes warm air energy and shuttles it into the house through a process that uses compressed coolant to warm the air.
- Improved indoor air quality. No fuel is burned to heat. That means no CO2 or other harmful gasses can cause poor indoor air quality.
- Lower carbon footprint. A heat pump can be 50 percent more energy efficient than a furnace or HVAC system. That means when you install a heat pump in your home, the home’s carbon footprint shrinks.
- Energy efficient. The heat transfer by a heat pump does not use gas or propane. It uses a method that attracts heat energy and transfers it to a coolant where it heats up. That process saves as much as 50 percent of the energy a furnace would use.
CONTACT GIBSON FOR HEAT PUMP INSTALLATION IN LEXINGTON
When your heat pump needs service or if you want to install a new heat pump in your home, call the experts at Gibson Heating & Cooling. Our team produces high-quality work at reasonable prices. We are also available 24/7 for emergency service or repair calls for heat pumps.